Bliss Balls – The Healthy Solution to My Desert Addiction
It’s a fact, that I love my desserts and sweets. When I first started my journey of getting fit and healthy, the biggest challenge was to avoid letting my sweet tooth ruin a healthy diet… Until I found bliss balls (or protein balls if you add protein powder in them)!
I have been working with this recipe for the past 4 year, and every now and then I would experiment with different flavours to keep things interesting.
A Simple Recipe With Endless Options
It’s such an easy and simple recipe, and the variations are just endless. You do need to add extra coconut oil and dates if you are adding extra ingredients such as protein powder or BCAA powder ( my favorite at the moment are Strawberry Cream flavoured Whey Protein from Rule 1, and Paradise Fruit flavour BCAA from EHP Labs)
For the essential oil lovers, being a raw dessert, it is also a great canvas to add your favourite essential oil. My favourite at the moment is the peppermint essential oil from doTERRA.
In terms of equipment you will need a really good blender (I have broken one making this recipe in the past). Otherwise, you can always buy almond meal and LSA mixture instead.
1 cup almond
1 cup cashew nuts
1 1/4 cup pitted dates (pre-soak in hot water for at least 30min)
2 TBS of coconut oil
4 TBS of Beyond BCAA paradise fruit flavour
¾ cup desiccated coconut
- Prepare a baking tray and spread desiccated coconut into the tray. Set aside.
- Use your blender to blend up the almond and cashew to fine powder. Put the powder in a mixing bowl.
- Blend up the pre-soaked dates into a sticky paste, and put into the same bowl as the nut powder. (pre soaking the dates will make it easier to blend them into a smooth paste)
- Add BCAA powder into the bowl.
- Melt coconut oil in the microwave, before adding it to the dry ingredients.
- Mix everything together. The mixture should be sticky and just come together. Add a table spoon of water (or almond milk or coconut milk) if the ingredients are not coming together.
- Roll the mixture into small balls by hand, before rolling them in the desiccated coconut.
- Put the finished bliss balls in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving.
What is BCAA
BCAA stands for “branched-chain amino acids.” These amino acids make up 35% of your muscle mass and are usually used in hopes of reducing muscle soreness, supporting muscle growth, and sustaining muscle mass. BCAAs are “essential,” which means that they must be consumed through what you eat and drink. Your body needs BCAAs to sustain you.
Personally I take BCAA to help reduce muscle soreness from training more than anything, plus I also love some of the beautiful flavours that are available on the market 🙂